For my upcoming cupcake event at the Rocklea Markets- April 18th.. Stall #235.. sorry to sound like a broken record.. I will also be showcasing my Vanilla cupcakes with Strawberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting. I used the same yellow cake recipe as my last post. Here is my recipe!
Strawberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream
1/2 cup egg whites
1 cup granulated sugar
3 sticks unsalted butter, cut into cubesPinch of salt
1. Combine the egg whites, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl and place over simmering water.
2. Continuously beating with a whisk, heat until egg whites are hot and all the sugar is dissolved (60 degrees). If the sugar is not completely melted, your final product will be grainy, so make sure!
3. Remove from the heat and place on the mixer. Whisk on medium speed until meringue is stiff, and the mixing bowl is cool to the touch. The meringue will be white with a bright sheen, and very sticky!
4. Switch to the paddle attachment, and on medium speed add the butter a few cubes at a time. Please note, if the meringue is not completely cool, the butter will melt instead of combining evenly.
5. Continue beating until all the butter is incorporated. At one point it may appear as if the mixture has “broken”, looking watery and separated like curdled milk. Continue mixing…it will all come together, I promise!
6. Increase speed to high, and beat until smooth.7. Add flavorings of your choice and tint with coloring paste, I just used some strawberry essence and pink food colouring. You can also use strawberry oil.