Yay! Not a cupcake related post!
Tomorrow is our house mate's 22nd Birthday and our other housemate Keen Bean was adamant that he was going to make a sponge. After lurking around the kitchen just waiting for him to ask for help, he didn't realize that the amount of batter he made would only make one layer.
I stepped in to make the second layer. I think that I proved that my top component of the cake was of better quality as it didn't fall, had a nice crust and was twice the size :P. Pretty good considering that I haven't made a sponge since my late dad taught me how when I was 9 years old.
I also had to help out with piping out the writing. I had to hide the swears on this cake as this is how to boys talk to each other.. and HAD to quote Trent from Punchbowl. I know.. crude right? But a tasty cake, none the less.
Layered Sponge Cake with Jam and Cream Filling, Strawberries and Cream Topping and left over Strawberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream FrostingSoured from the back of Fielders Corn Flour Packet
3 Eggs Seperated
1/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
1/2 Cup Castor Sugar
2/3 Cup Corn Flour
1 Rounded Tbs of Plain Flour
1 Tsp Baking Powder
- Preheat Oven to 190 C, beat egg whites to soft peaks then gradually add sugar, a little at a time, then continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla essence, beat until combined.
- Sift 3 times the corn flour, plain flour and baking powder, add to egg mixture. Folding gently to incorporate. Do not stir!..
- Divide in two and add to 2x greased and lined 20 cm sandwich pans (I used a 21cm springform pan and made 2 batches). Bake for 18-29 Minutes.
- Turn off and leave oven ajar for 5 minutes. Pull out and cool on racks in pan for 5 mins, remove from pan and cool completely before decorating.
- After cutting off the crust, Keen Bean smothered in chanterelle cream, strawberries and I wrote in some left over strawberry flavoured swiss meringue buttercream with additional red food colouring.