Thursday, May 6, 2010

50th Post! Uncollected Mocha Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Firstly, I apologise to my readers for barely commenting on your blogs this week, I've just started a new job and have been EXHAUSTED and not to forget I can't slack off like I used to! But I think I've caught up on all of your posts now :)

The other day I'd offered to make a cake for a friend for an anniversary, just so that I can practice making something without eating it in the end...

I went to the trouble of spending 3 hrs on making this cake AND ruined my fresh manicure to later reveal that they weren't going to collect it, or even let me know that they weren't coming.. Don't know what the story was there but I was stuck with this cake.. So long story short.. I decided to eat it lol. I was proud of my creation. Pity that the other 3/4's are in my freezer waiting for me to binge on it. *Epic sigh*

SO if you want to make this cake for yourself or for someone else, here is there recipe. I sourced this from here via foodgawker. Enjoy!

Mocha Cake- I doubled this recipe to make 2x 17cm round tins.

1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup whole milk

1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, at room temperature

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

1 large egg, at room temp

Preheat to 350°F. Line cake pan.

Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a measuring cup, combine the milk and brewed coffee.

In a stand mixer, using a flat beater on medium-high speed, beat the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the egg and beat until combined. Slowly add the flour mixture, alternating with the coffee mixture, ending with the flour mixture.

Fill cake tin about 2/3 full. Bake for about 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cake comes out clean. Let cool before frosting.


White Chocolate Buttercream Icing

1 c. butter, softened

2 c. confectioner’s sugar

6 oz. white chocolate, melted and cooled

3-5 Tbsp. of whipping cream or half and half

Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add white chocolate. Add whipping cream 1 tbsp. at a time until it is the desired consistancy.

Makes 3 1/2 cups


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This cake also gave me a chance to practice some buttercream roses.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

And mucked around with some piping tips


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Cake cracked because I am always too impatient and didn't let it cool yet and flipped it onto the cake stand without trimming the top. Buttercream patched it up nicely though.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Hope you enjoyed this post!!

9 comments:

  1. Amazing blog, amazing recipes and presentation.
    Thank you so much for your kind comments!
    I'd love to have you linked with my blog.
    Have a great day!
    Betty x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cake!! Your flowers are gorgeous and I am always too impatient and flip the cake too soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful. It's so disappointing when people don't communicate with you when they've asked you to do something for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your 50th post! What a gorgeous cake. The buttercream roses are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is gorgeous... I really must teach myself to make pretty things... my decorating is really VERY basic... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, love those buttercream roses BB! And sorry to hear about your friends not picking it up! :( Happy 50th post and I think you found the right solution!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone for your comments! On a positive note I did have fun decorating this.

    Not too sure what happened on the day, I still haven't heard from them, something may have come up unexpectedly. Oh well. I offered it to the boys to have any time they want :)

    Now to find another excuse to bake something :p

    BB xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This cake looks great! I just followed your blog. Will you follow mine? http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. cute cake! i suck at buttercream roses :-/ lol .... and you really are so good at keeping up with comments! i feel bad when i can't get to everyone too.

    ReplyDelete